Artsy in the City
Kansas City is a community rich in artistic history and integrity. We have a well-established, conventional art scene – The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art and The Kemper Museum of Contemporary Art are renowned institutions. The Crossroads Arts District, home to local artist studios and galleries, is also the host of First Fridays’ events enjoyed by thousands of residents and tourists each month. And the iconic Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts draws top-billing shows and concerts.
Setting Aside Convention
But the most unique art in our city is hidden in plan sight, for anyone willing to look a little more closely. It is in the way we transform what could be everyday into something much more than its prescribed purpose – and that is the true definition of art.
A few examples:
- Music is Art: The birthing place of modern jazz, Kansas City musicians ushered in an era of music simply by improvising. In doing so, they created a completely new style of music than cannot be replication, only aspired to.
- Beer is Art: Though well-known now, Boulevard Brewing Company was once a small local brewery. founded in 1989 right here in KC, they are now considered the largest specialty brewer in the Midwest. And because of their artistry, the city is now chock full of local breweries in every corner of the city.
- Coffee is Art: Founded in a basement home in Brookside, The Roasterie is now one of the most renowned specialty coffee roasters in the nation. And there’s so much more where that came from! If you want a quality cup of joe in our city, it’s likely just around the corner. Check out this great list of artisans who are making waves on the coffee scene.
- Smoke is Art: Kansas City is home to over 100 BBQ restaurants and several famous competitions, including The American Royal. Only, we don’t just excel at BBQ. We actually revolutionized the whole industry with the introduction of smoking meats. In doing so, Pit-Masters have endless possibilities for creating unique flavor profiles.
- Food is Art: This week is Kansas City Restaurant Week 2017. With 180+ KC Restaurants participating, it is a palatable foodie paradise. In fact, The Zagat Survey has called Kansas City the number 1 dining bargain of the major cities it reviews! Kansas City Chefs know that food isn’t just sustenance, it is an experience, a revelation, a passion.
Awnings are Art: The distinguishing characteristic of all works of art is intent. When an artist creates something with their hands, and instills in it a unique signature, it becomes art. And that’s what we do at KCT&A. Our awnings serve functional purposes – shade, energy efficiency, signage and protection. But they also tell a story. Not just of the establishment for which they were designed, but also for the designers themselves. A long history of craftsmanship that we, as awning artists, have spent over a decade developing.
What did we miss? We’d love to hear about your favorite KC Artists and what they’re doing on the art scene – both conventional and not so much!